Hugh Sexey Church of England Middle School
Together we believe; Together we achieve

2-2 Thriller against Gryphon of Dorset

The boys' football team put in a cracking performance against Gryphon school. Gryphon also brought a netball team along and it was great to establish a new link with a School. The fine spring weather contributed to a lovely afternoon played in a great spirit. Gryphon started brightly and had a couple of early chances. Hugh Sexey then started to find a rhythm with captain Sam, Nik and Austin showing promise in the attacking areas of the pitch. A chance nearly came Owens way but he was denied it by Gryphon’s well drilled defence. Oliver put in an excellent performance on the right hand side and was always hungry for the ball. At the end of the first half Hugh Sexey’s defence was finally breached after the Gryphon striker neatly finished inside the box. It was a strong first half performance non the less and it was great to see Jay put in a commanding performance on his School debute.

In the second half Jacob came out of goal and led the attack and made an immediate impact. The shape was changed to a more adventurous 323 with Ollie and Charlie on in the midfield and Will brought on to marshall the defence. After a a fine save by the keeper Jacob was on hand to smash the ball home and make the game 1-1. Cue mass celebrations. This proved to be the catalyst for Hugh Sexey's best passage of play. After playing the ball from the back Nik received the ball turned and realised Austin. His fierce shot was again saved but Jacob followed up again to make it 2-1. Cue pandemonium. The lead seemed to drive Gryphon on and perhaps the pressure effected Hugh Sexey as they stopped playing to their strength. One fabulous Save from Cameron preventing a certain goal. Gryphon kept pushing and eventually got an equaliser. The game then went end to end and in the final moments Gryphon nearly snatched it. A back pass to Cameron was dealt with but when the ball was won by Gryphon he was caught way off his line. A shot from the half way line was sailing towards the top corner but somehow he got back in time to tip it over the bar and secure the draw.

It was a great game played in a great spirit. Well done to all involved.